It has been a great honour to me to have been re-elected in 2004, yet again in 2009 and I am now serving my third term working for the people of Beara and West Cork at Cork County Council.
In 2007, I was nominated to contest that years Senate Elections on the Industrial and Commercial Panel and made it to the 24th Count when I lost narrowly by less than one vote.
In 2008 I was then honoured to have been elected Mayor of Cork County. I worked extremely hard to deliver many projects for Cork during that year with the assistance of Council and Management in Cork County.
Throughout that year I chaired many difficult sessions to successfully adopt our current County Development Plan and an extremely difficult budget for 2009.
The arrival of the MV Julia to restore the Cork Swansea Ferry link and the beginning of the development of Irelands only Science Park in Cork during my mayoralty will maintain and improve Corks National and International status.
In 2009 I was elected Chairman of The South West Regional Authority and successfully presided over the adoption of the extremely important Regional Planning Guidelines.
I am a member of the following Committees and Organisations,
- Chairman of Cork County Strategic Policy Committee on Tourism
- Member of the South West Regional Authority
- Member of the Association of Irish Regions
- Member of Cork County Development Board
- Member of West Cork Enterprise Board
- Member of Cómhair na nOileán (National Islands Leader Development Co.)
- Member of Cork County Council Corporate Policy Group
- Member of Cork County Coastal Management Committee
- Member of Cork County Strategic Policy Committee on Arts and Culture
- Bantry/Skibbereen Electoral Area Committee
- Western Division Committee of Cork County Council
- Member of West Cork Islands Interagency Group
I have previously served on the following
- Southern Health Board
- Cork County Strategic Policy Committee on Planning and Development
- Cork County Strategic Policy Committee on Environment
- Member of Cork County Higher Education Committee
- Member of Cork County General Purposes Committee
Born and reared in Castletownbere on the spectacular Beara Peninsula, I am extremely aware of the challenges and potential that living in peripheral rural communities presents to our people.
Married to Catherine, we have three children, Cormac, Declan and Maria.
Educated at Castletownbere Boys NS and Beara Community School, I studied in Galway before taking up my current position as Postmaster in Castletownbere in 1992.
I am very interested in Sports, particularly in Gaelic Football, Hurling, Soccer and Golf. I still manage to line out for the Castletownbere Junior Football team and was fortunate to have played at right half back on Beara’s Cork County Senior Championship winning team in 1997.
During the quieter winter months, I can be found on the oche throwing darts for a local team.
I enjoy following current affairs, history and local issues and love reading when time allows.
I hope that this web site can be of some assistance to you and should you require any further information or assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time.